SJE is available for use as a recording space, rehearsal venue and/or for concerts, plays, lectures, poetry readings etc.
There is a separate room for engineers and the church itself has a wonderful acoustic. There is parking on site, with easy load-in for equipment.
The cloister garden makes an excellent venue for summer outdoor events: the cloister windows are glazed to provide an enclosed space for art exhibitions, with effective exhibition lighting.
Meals and/or overnight accommodation are usually available, with on-site parking.
By prior arrangement, it may be possible to have your concert or rehearsal sessions professionally recorded, for release or archival purposes. This service will be charged separately by negotiation. Notice is required and availability cannot be guaranteed.
If you are interested in hiring the Church of St John the Evangelist or the cloister garden for a concert or other event, please contact either Sally Doyle (concerts(at)ssho.ox.ac.uk) or Michèle Smith (michele.smith(at)ssho.ox.ac.uk) for information.
or telephone: 01865 613507
correspondence address: St Stephen's House, 16 Marston St, Oxford, OX4 1JX
address of SJE: Church of St John the Evangelist, 109A Iffley Road, Oxford OX4 1EH
- SJE can hold up to 500 depending on the performance area required
- Wheelchair access to the church and blue badge parking may be available
- Very comfortable, spacious upholstered audience seating and efficient under-floor central heating
- Good, modern lighting
- Good WC facilities off the adjacent cloisters, including for wheelchair access
- Some limited parking for performers may be available, by arrangement
- Greenroom facilities available
- Some staging is available
- Steinway D concert grand piano (on staging) is available for separate hire
- Upright piano available for rehearsal use, for a small extra charge
- Use of the church organ
- Some music stands are available for use at no extra charge
- An Interval bar can be arranged.
Catering and accommodation for performers can also be provided by the college, which is adjacent to the church. There is a range of excellent rooms from a standard room (with washbasin) to a large double suite.
Pre- and post-show receptions can be arranged.